FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
a brush arbor, November 26, 1881, the First Baptist Church of Hico, Texas was organized at its present site by the Reverend J.P. Grammer
and Reverend L.R. Scruggs, with 28 charter members, most of which were from the Mt. Zion Baptist Church of old Hico, which had been
organized in 1861. After moving to the new town site, the church ordained its first deacons, John C. Hutchinson and Thomas S.
Solomon on April 2, 1882.
organizations of the church include a Music Ministry, Women’s Ministry, a Children’s Ministry and an active Youth ministry. There are Bible Studies and Sunday-School classes for all ages. The congregation supports the Cooperative Program, Missions,
and was instrumental in starting a Hispanic Church in Hico. The church is continually blessed with offerings of time, resources
and love from members and other benefactors.
The church began construction on a church building in 1884, but a storm blew it down in June 1885 before it was completed. In
1886, the church erected a new building, which served until 1963, when a totally new facility was constructed. This building
was dedicated on March 8, 1964. Eventually, through gifts and purchases, the church was able to acquire the entire block, and
in the year 2000 completed an extension that includes additional classrooms, kitchen, a large fellowship hall, and a multipurpose
center. In 2007, the R.A.N.C.H. (Reaching and Nurturing Children’s Hearts) Pre-school was formed to meet the needs of the community
and provide a Christian learning environment for children. .
First Baptist Church, Hico Texas
Copyright: First Baptist Church - Hico
Web Design by :Duane Heinrichs